Engineers & Scientists Acting Locally (ESAL) is a nationwide organization dedicated to increasing local engagement by professionals with backgrounds in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). ESAL was launched by engineers and scientists who have worked in public policy.
ESAL is driven by the core beliefs that:
- professionals with STEM backgrounds can contribute to their local communities in unique ways. This includes providing technical expertise on specific issues as well as bringing an inquiry-driven and evidence-based approach to problem solving.
- Civic engagement is compatible with and can enhance a successful STEM career.
- Communities thrive when all members participate and meet challenges together.
ESAL’s goals are to:
- Increase the number of professionals with STEM backgrounds who are engaged in civic activities, including city, county, and state government and community-oriented non-profit and volunteer organizations.
- Provide resources to help professionals with STEM backgrounds be more effective in civic activities.
What We Do For You
ESAL helps you become more engaged in your city, county, and state. Its central organization provides tools and resources, while ESAL chapters create and share specific opportunities related to their local communities.
Examples of what ESAL does for you:
- Features experiences and ideas from professionals with STEM backgrounds about ways to make a difference in your community.
- Provides resources to help you become more effective in your local efforts.
- Organizes events where you can meet local leaders, hear about the experiences of other STEM-trained professionals who are making a difference near you, learn about groups that need your involvement, and meet others from your community who are eager to become more engaged.